Sunday, November 06, 2005

A Million Little Pieces

This is likely to be an "all or nothing" kind of book. James Frey rebels against AA and Twelve Step Programs while in a drug rehab. Being a believer in the effectiveness of Twelve Step Programs I was challenged by his defiant attitude. However the one thing he clearly believes is that "I am responsible". He may not believe in a higher power, but "taking responsibility" is his middle name and if that isn't a core value of every Twelve Step Program, apparently I have been misled. A Million Little Pieces is graphic to the point of making you nauseous. For anyone who has experienced drug and alcohol abuse, James offers some hope. Hope is good. I suppose it is useful to remember, "there is always another way".

1 Comments:

Blogger Jasmine said...

I adore this book. And although some parts hit a little too close to home, I think it's a wonderful book. You HAVE to read "My Friend Leonard," Frey's second book. It is somehow even better than the first. His unique writing style evolves in the second book, and you won't be able to put it down.
-jasmine

2:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home